Wednesday, November 23, 2011

11/21/11 - Cornell Campus Party, NY

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to ride up to Ithaca, NY with some friends to visit (and bring home) one of my best mates from high school. Didn't quite accomplish as much sketching as I had hoped, due to a party going on that I didn't want to miss. These were done during the party in the co-op's basement- a band was playing on the stage, so there was a lot of motion, causing most of my sketches to fail miserably... Overall I ended up sketching way more architecture than people- their uni has some incredible arches and clock towers strewn about its campus that I just couldn't pass up. I may update this post with some sketches of students working in the library, if I can just find them.


1 comment:

  1. Zach,
    I cannot stress enough how important it is to work loosely. These drawings are simply too stiff. Look at the short lines that describe the contours of these two gestures. See how short they are ? See how even the weight is of most of your lines ? The drawings have lost their sense of gesture because they are overworked. For hair, it needs to be treated as a form - not individual lines. That's elementary school stuff. Continue to work on hands and faces. If you are going to try cartooning or caricaturing, consider how you will do it. These faces are simplified but there is no real approach to it - the heads are without a definitive form - and the overall effect is one where it feels like you're struggling to define THAT person, THAT individual. The person in front of you is a model... use their clothing and pose as a reference, then develop your own forms.

    ReplyDelete